Thursday, July 2, 2009

Evan Flings the Gauntlet

Evan Kleiman, everyone's favorite radio food person--who's actually an honest-to-God chef--is hosting a pie-a-day challenge on her KCRW blog. Of course I want to help her out so she doesn't have to eat a pie a day all by herself. After all, Evan's a friend, a colleague and a nice person. Who wouldn't want to make a pie to aid the cause?

I devised a pie with my favorite combo: bacon and chocolate. In addition to the crumbled bacon, I included toasted walnuts and maple flavoring in the chocolate filling. The crust I made with a combination of butter (well chilled) and bacon fat (frozen!). Not a tremendous amount of flake to it, but when it tastes that good and has that great a mouth feel, who's going to quibble about a few flakes of crust? Not I!

You can find my pie included in her KCRW pie-a-day blog, right below the cat who apparently fell asleep in a pie plate. Little upstager...!

This pie is a keeper. I'll make it again and again, just not every day. As you can imagine, it's not the healthiest of desserts. But as Julia says, it's about enjoying it all in moderation and small helpings.

No comments: