Friday, January 1, 2010

To resolve or not to resolve?

These are all books I began reading last year--the ones I haven't finished yet. They perch perilously next to my pillow. I live in danger of a wee-hours earthquake bringing them down on my head. The stacks of books on Himself's side of the bed are even bigger, but this is about my resolution, not his. I'm just glad I married a fellow reader. It makes for stimulating company.



Here's my New Year's resolution for 2010: To finish the books I begin reading (and that includes re-reading). No fair saying to myself, "I've read Moby-Dick before. It's no big deal if I don't finish it." Because the me who rereads Moby-Dick now is an entirely different person from the me who read it for the first time as a 20-year old English major in college. I'll get more out of it this time around, now that I'm not simply reading it with an eye toward being tested on it.

Good luck to all with their New Year's resolutions. May 2010 treat you well.

No comments: