Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Wicked, Wicked Good...

I have a special affection for my coffee can filled with bacon drippings. I love it for the endless possibilities it represents for creating something tasty. I cook with them, infuse bourbon with them. I've considered using them for lip balm, but I haven't gone that far. Not yet.


Tonight I used them to make mayonnaise. I'm blaming Ari Weinzweig for this. He reveals the recipe in his book, Zingerman's Guide to Better Bacon. It takes but a few minutes and no fancy, esoteric ingredients. The results are fit for schmearing on just about anything--an omelette, a baked potato, a piece of fish. It's also good eaten right off the spoon--or your finger. If you happen to have food to put it on, that's great, but if you don't, it shouldn't stop you from enjoying a taste.

As Himself shot this picture we agreed that the bacon mayo looked like hummus, which led me to conclude that a Southern version of hummus is in order, one that calls for blackeyed peas instead of garbanzo beans and bacon fat instead of olive oil. 

I probably should leave this idea alone, but I do love playing with my food. I think I'll sleep on it. And if I do decide to make Southern hummus, you'll be the first to know.

No comments: